Wednesday 5 August 2009

It's been a funny old day...

...starting with me setting up camp underneath the letterbox. Today was the day that "Bree McCready and the Half Heart Locket" was due to arrive through the post in book form. I was all prepared to jump on the postie and smother him with grateful kisses (whether he liked it or not). After about 10 minutes I heard my email alert 'bing' so I dragged myself over to my laptop, making sure I kept one eye firmly on the door just in case I missed anything. It was Keith from Strident informing me that Bree had returned back from the printers yesterday but because he had got stuck in a horrific traffic jam he had missed the postal pick up and as a result Bree would come a day late to me. Oh well, I thought, I've waited my whole life for this, another 24 hours is not going to kill me. And at least I would be able to prize myself away from the front door to make myself a coffee. As I pottered around in the kitchen the local news came on the radio and the newsreader cheerfully announced that exam results were due today. Agh! Back to the letterbox, coffee in hand and heart in mouth.
With everything going on recently it had completely slipped my mind that my maths results would be making their appearance on my doormat sometime early August. Talk about a roller-coaster ride! Sometimes life is like waiting for a bus - you hang around for ages and nothing much happens then ...well, you know the rest. I waited for ages for the post - pacing the room, peeking out of the window - but at around 11am I gave up hope of being put out of my misery. I was getting used to the waiting game! A watched pot never boils so I returned to the kitchen to start the washing up. Just as I plunged my hands into the soapy water I heard Junior's excited voice wafting through from the living room - "Mummy, it's the postie!"
When I saw the envelope I just knew. With shaking (and soapy) fingers I ripped it open and carefully pulled out the contents. Scanning down the text I searched for my grade....A!
A.A Milne (author of Winnie the Pooh) once wrote that, "to the uneducated, an A is just three sticks" Sorry Mr Milne but I don't agree. This A is my reward for a year of struggle and tears, recognition of all my hard work and dedication and proof that no matter how difficult you find something if you want it badly enough it is within your grasp.
It's nice to own those "three sticks" and to feel proud of my achievement. Hearing Junior tell people today that he had a "clever Mummy" made all the blood, sweat and tears worthwhile. Ain't no stopping me now!
Anyway, must dash, I've got to prepare myself once more for jumping on the postie in 12 hours time. I can't wait to hold my book in my hand! I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment