Tuesday 10 March 2009

On the dotted line



I sent my publishing contract off yesterday (recorded delivery, of course!). It should have arrived at the Strident office in this morning's post. I understood about one word in ten. Fifteen A4 pages filled with lots of very long sentences and words that I would never dream of using in everyday conversation - hereto, hereinafter, thereof.
I got some wonderful advice and support from a person called Elizabeth at The Society of Authors (who I am now a fully fledged member of!) and she did her best to explain what it all meant in plain English. So in the end I felt reassured that it was alright that I didn't really understand what it all meant (!) I tried not to let the mild confusion overshadow the excitement. This is a big occasion after all. I am now legally and contractually obligated to consider myself an author.
Caroline took a photograph of me signing the contract for prosperity. I really wanted a friend to witness the moment - it just didn't feel right that I should be on my own when I signed on the dotted line. Unfortunately it was 11 o'clock in the morning and both Caroline and I reluctantly agreed that to open the bottle of Champagne (which has been chilling in my fridge for months now!) might be just a step too far. So we had a celebratory cup of tea instead. Rock on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment